The Importer Exporter Code (IEC) is a key business identification number, IEC Number is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric code issued by the DGFT (Director General of Foreign Trade) on the basis of the PAN of an entity.
The IEC (Importer-Exporter Code) is mandatory for Exports or Imports. Without a valid IEC, no entity shall make any Import or Export Transaction.
Also Read: last date to update Importer-Exporter Code
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) under Ministry of Commerce, Government of India is authorized to issue IEC (Importer-Exporter Code). The IEC is issued in electronic form (e-IEC).
To get an IEC (Importer-Exporter Code) an Application has to be filed online (ANF 2A format) at the DGFT portal. The Application fee to get IEC is Rs. 500. Click the download button given below to get the ANF 2A Form.
What information is required for applying IEC?
Below mentioned basic information/details required to file an application for IEC:
- Digital Signatures Token
- Mobile Number and Email ID
- PAN and Aadhaar
- Office Address
- Bank Account details
How to apply for IEC?
To get Importer-Exporter Code (IEC) you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the website of DGFT and login
- After Linking to IEC or Application of IEC proceed with Register Digital signature details through navigating to My Dashboard >> View and Register Digital Signature Token
- Read the information carefully and make sure that all pre-requisites for Digital signature are met and then click on “Register New DSC”.
- With your digital signature details proceed further
- After Pre-requisites for Digital signature is done, then you will be able to see a list of e-Pass token on click on Provider List, Select the e-Pass token from said list.
- Select Certificate for signing from Certificate list, Individual based DSC is only allowed for proprietorship type firms. Refer to the validations mentioned above.
- Enter your DSC token PIN in the enter Password field.
- After successful signing, success message is displayed.
- Once Digital signature details successfully registered then you can see the details under current digital signature details, and you can perform any action on IEC with the active Digital Signature.
To download the sample IEC Certificate, click on the download button given below:
How to Update IEC?
An IEC doesn’t have an expiry but it is mandatory to update the IEC annually so that the IEC is not deactivated.
As per the DGFT Notification number 58 dated 12th February 2021, IEC (Importer-Exporter code) should be updated electronically every year, during the period of April-June. Please note that even if there is no change, the IEC should be updated.
Here is the step-by-step guide to updating the Importer-Exporter code:
To Get Finance News & Job Alerts Directly On Your Mobile Join Our WhatsApp Group