The Income-tax department has come up with a new e-Filing portal (ITR e-filing 2.0) which is effective from 7th Jun, 2021. Under the new Income tax portal, downloading Form 26AS has also been simplified.
The New Income-tax e-Filing portal will be taxpayer-friendly integrated with immediate processing of Income Tax Returns (ITRs) so that refunds can be issued quickly, and it enables the users to file the ITR free of cost by providing ITR preparation software online and offline.
The new portal has a simplified download feature for Form 26AS. Now, the taxpayer can know it’s tax-related details by simply downloading the Form 26AS from the new portal.
Form 26AS is also known as Annual Tax Statement, which contains tax-related information such as Tax deducted by deductors on behalf of Tax Payer, Tax collected by collectors on behalf of Tax Payer, Advance / Self-Assessment tax deposited by Tax Payer, Refund issued to Tax Payer, and AIR Transactions.
Details in Form 26AS
Annual Tax Statement (Form 26AS) under Section 203AA of the Income Tax Act, 1961 consist of details mentioned below:
- PART A – Details of Tax Deducted at Source
- PART B – Details of Tax Collected at Source
- PART C – Details of Tax Paid (other than TDS or TCS)
- PART D – Details of Paid Refund
- PART E – Details of SFT Transaction
- PART F – Details of TDS u/s 194IA/ 194IB /194M
- PART G – TDS Defaults (Defaults relate to the processing of statements and don’t include demand raised by the respective Assessing Officers)
How to download Form 26AS?
Below are the steps to download Form 26AS from the new Income-tax portal:
- Log in on the new Income tax portal by your Aadhar/PAN/Other USER ID
- After logging in, go to the ‘e-file’ menu, then click on “Income Tax Returns” and click on “View Form 26 AS”
- A Pop up of “Disclaimer” will come, read the disclaimer and click on ‘Confirm’,
- Clicking on the confirm button will take you to the website of “TDS-CPC”
- Now, agree to the T&C and click on ‘Proceed’
- Click on “View Tax Credit (Form 26AS)” to view your Form 26AS
- Select the Assessment Year
- Select View As, here you can view/download the Form 26AS in HTML/Text Format
- Select “Text” to download the Form 26AS in Text Format
- To Download PDF, please view HTML then click on the “Export as PDF”
- Your Form 26AS will be displayed on your screen, Download and save it.
Online Verification of TDS Certificate
On the website of “TDS-CPC”, you can verify the TDS certificate (Form No. 16/16A) issued to you, you need the below-mentioned details to verify the TDS certificate issued to you:
- TAN of Deductor
- Assessment Year
- TDS Amount Deducted as per Certificate (Rs.)
- TDS Certificate Number
- Source of Income
After furnishing the above-mentioned details, you need to click on the “Validate” button to check whether the certificate issued to you is correct. Ask your TDS Deductor to give Form 16/16A downloaded only from Traces. The valid Form 16/16A Certificate downloaded from TRACES bears 7 character Alphabet unique certificate number It has TDS –CPS logo on the left side and national emblem on the right side.
FAQs on Form 26AS
Form 26AS is an Annual Tax Statement under Section 203AA of the Income Tax Act, 1961, which contains tax-related information such as TDS deducted, TCS collected, Refunds issued, etc.
The valid Form 16/16A Certificate downloaded from TRACES bears 7 character Alphabet unique certificate number It has TDS –CPS logo on the left side and national emblem on the right side.
To Get Finance News & Job Alerts Directly On Your Mobile Join Our WhatsApp Group